Inspiration

Hey Guys and chicas,

I need inspiration. I have not posted anything in a few weeks and the reason is..I really do not know what to post. Let me know if you want me to review anything... I guess I can share what I am currently Reading...I absolutely love the picture on the cover.

Feb 2-- I'm done this novel. This is an amazing book, WOW! Marlon James is a genius. For an author to be in their 30s and be so amazingly well versed in plantation and Slavery  life and culture  during the 18th and 19th century is definitely something to be applauded. This is the second book I have read by him and I must say it is truly a well written book and he is a brilliant author.

The story is about Lilith , a green eye girl, born into Slavery in Jamaica. If I give more information I will give the contents of the book away, and I definitly do not want to do that. Lets just say it has to do with Rebellion, Slave women and Myal.

What I love about this novel was the way he gave so much details about each one of the characters. The way the story developes is really captivating, I actually felt like I was in Jamaica on the Montpelier plantation. I love that he really showed the strength and courage of Black women during that era. It shows their resistance, their skills with plants and herbs and also their braveness in the face of adversity and human suffering.

This novel is very heart wrenching, he does divulge lots of details about the suffering (mental, phsycial, sexual and emotional )  of some of the slave men and women in Jamaica. If you are weak of heart or are very emotional, you may want to stay away from this book for now. However, if you are not really familiar with Caribbean history, this is definitely a great starting point. I most definitely recommend this book.   I LoVE THiS book... If any of you want to borrow it let me know. :-)

Check Marlon James speaking about his book http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XcnJVWBfdI
http://www.marlonjames.com/

Latah Lovelies.

Comments

  1. And to that I say... we want you to inspire us! I actually think what you were writing about was good. Why did you start the blog in the first place? Have you already reached that goal?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts