Why I started this Blog...Asked by Imani

Why I started this Blog...Asked by Imani

Thank you Imani..

This is a great question.

Why did you decide to start a blog?

I
decided to start a blog because I really wanted to have an outlet and beauty resource centre for black women. I really wanted the blog to help increase the self esteem of my fellow brown skin sisters so they can elevate and embrace their natural beauty. I try my best to keep the blog current so that all women are able to make use of the information and potentially implement it into their daily lives.

I honestly feel that cosmetic companies have forgotten that there are other shades besides snowflake and capuccino. Within the last 5 years there has been a big turnaround with brands such as Loreal and Cover Girl Queen Collection offering a wide range of colours. Mind you, Queen collection is not even available in Canada...nor are some of the darker Loreal and Maybelline shades. This has been something that has been on my mind for a long time and I really want to find ways that little me can help out brown skinned chicas everywhere.  

I feel that black women are extremely beautiful, however, the media has not always been kind to us. Case in point, I went to Walmart yesterday and browsed around the cosmetic section. I saw three beautiful black girls (between16-19). They were in the section for about 30 minutes trying to find a powder foundation. One was a bit more knowledgeable than the others. The others were so clueless. I felt sad for them. They could not find their colour at all. I stepped in after I watched them looking at Cover Girl (the worst drugstore brand in my opinion). I told them to try Maybelline and we walked over to find a good match out of the 2 options that this particular Walmart had. In the end they got a Maybelline and went on their way. This brought back so many bad memories for me, I remember being in high school and walking to Pharma Plus while my friends (other cultures) were able to find all their makeup and I could not find ANYTHING. The only brand to select from was Covergirl, which had that funny odour and was not a good fit. The above example is just one example out of many. 

This blog is my attempt to help rectify the situation, in my own way. There are literally thousands of products out there, so it is definitely a daunting task figuring out which will work well and what is a good value. But, I love to shop! And, I love to get a good deal! Experimenting is fun for me! I am not afraid to try many different bright colours and I am not afraid to try a red lipstick (for appropriate occasions...). So, this blog allows me to do the "hard work" of trying out various products and sharing my opinions with my sista-friends/readers. This will hopefully make the selection process shorter and easier for other women, and  with that they are well on their way to increasing their self esteem and letting their beauty shine from the inside out. 
 
Thanks guys and Special Thanks to IManzi. :-)

Comments

Popular Posts