Book Review -Eleven Minutes by Paulo Coelho

Hey Dolls and Gentlemen,


One of my passion is reading and spending time at the Public Library (at least once a week). I know..I know (pretty nerdy) BUT....there are just sooooo many great books out there and so much information waiting to be explored... ( sorry i don't mean to make excuses for being nerdy .....lol).....back to the matter at hand, Mr. Coelho.


In case you are not familiar, Paulo Coehlo is a Brazilian Novelist who has written  over 10 excellent books. This is my third book I'm reading by him. To date his  most acclaimed book is The Alchemist , I'm sure some of you may have heard of it. Anyway, I started reading this book on last Thursday (its Tuesday) today, I'm am half way done and i must say that it is a really great book. Its pretty easy to get through, and i think many people (young, old, male, female) can relate to it. So far, the central theme seems to be self doubt, Religion, confronting our own prejudices and exploring the nature of sex and love... (for now)


The story is about Maria a young Brazilian woman who after 2 very simple  brushes with "love" is left  heartbroken. The story opens up with Maria in Brazil as a young girl  and eventually we follow Maria as she becomes a Prostitute in Switzerland and it develops from there.

I'm done reading this book and I liked, I felt a little lost at the end though. I noticed that Paulo Coelho's books there is usually no real climax, his books just sort of fade out to the end. I don't know if i know what the take home message is. I didn't feel that the novel came full circle. I think what i liked about it is that he challenges his readers to take a closer look and that nothing is really as it seems.  It is a love story and the connection that exists when two souls become one.

I would recommend this book but you have to think about what you are reading and try not to miss a beat with this one.


Have you read any good books lately?

Comments

  1. Have you finished yet? I want to know what you think. I was about 30 - 40 pages from the end of this book and I never finished. I am not too sure why, but I want to know how it ends.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Nai, I am almost done reading the book. Holidays had me busy. Its coming soon..:-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts